Though WEP algorithm was introduced to provide privacy equivalent to wired networks its the most un secure and easily susceptible algorithm. The Wifi networks secured using WEP can be cracked within minutes with readily available software or hardware. Check this hardware for an example. That explains how insecure WEP algorithm is. Then came the WPA and WPA 2 that promised a secure connection via a stronger algoritm. Though these 2 algoritms are recommended it is still susceptible via software.
Wireless Security Auditor from Elcomsoft is a premium software that can crack WiFi WAP/WPA2 PSK passwords, intercept data packets and locate wireless networks. This app makes use of dictionary attack by searching lists of dictionary words and common phrases that can be found on the internet. Elcomsoft Auditor is undetectable by the Wi-Fi network being probed and WPA/WPA2-PSK passwords can be retrieved in plain text.
In order to speed up password recovery/ discovery Wireless Security Auditor harness the power of GPU. This app supports like NVIDIA like GeForce and ATI video cards such as Radeon HD 4800 and 5000 series.
Features of Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor:
- Determine how secure your wireless network is
- Built-in wireless network sniffer
- Test the strength of WPA/WPA2-PSK passwords protecting your wireless network
- Save time with patent-pending GPU acceleration technology when one or more compatible NVIDIA or ATI video cards are present
- Hardware acceleration on Tableau TACC1441 hardware
- Run advanced dictionary attacks with highly configurable variations
- Perform attacks from inside or outside of your network
Steps to crack Wi-Fi WPA and WPA2 PSK passwords:
1) and install Wireless Security Auditor. Launch the app.
2) Go to File and from the drop down menu select ‘Add WPAPSK Hash Manually’.
3) Now in the new window enter the WiFi networks SSID (name) or broadcast ID and hit OK.
4) Now the Security Auditor will do a dictionary match search till the password is found.